On Aug 18, 2008, at 6:35 AM, Martin Kalany wrote:

Hi folks,

When I use the profiling tool off the Netbeans 6.1 IDE, I see lots of Threads that got the name "org.apache.log4j.xml.XMLWatchdog". Unfortunately I didn't find much documentation about that, that's why I'm posting here.

My problem is that there's lot's of threads (about 5 per instance of B) with this name when I profile code that looks like the code below. Why is that? Does log4j really need them? The profiler says they are waiting all the time.

Regards,
Martin

XMLWatchdog implement the file change monitoring in DOMConfigurator.configureAndWatch. One new instance would be created each time you call configureAndWatch, but should not be created if you just call configure. When they are used, they sleep for a specified period of time, wake up, check if the configuration file has changed and call configure if it has and then sleep again, so it would be normal for them to be waiting.

I would suggest checking your code for calls to configureAndWatch to see where they are being created. If you can't find any instances in your code, set a breakpoint on the XMLWatchdog constructor and then look at the stack trace to see where they are being created.