It would be helpful to see your config.  But I can imagine what you might be missing.  You need to look into the concept of additivity.  By default it is "true".  This means that a child inherits the appenders and levels of parents.  You want to set this to false.  For instance, the following config sets up defaults for all packages using the root logger with a console appender and a level of WARN.  All loggers inherit this, except for the "org.mypackage" logger and all children of this logger, which will log at the INFO level to the mypackageAppender.  The key to doing this is the line "log4j.additivity.org.mypackage=false".

log4j.appender.defaultAppender=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.defaultAppender.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.defaultAppender.layout.ConversionPattern=%-5p [%-8.8t]: %39.39c %-6r - %m%n

log4j.appender.mypackageAppender=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.mypackageAppender.File=${log.dir}/mypackage.log
log4j.appender.mypackageAppender.MaxFileSize=1000KB
log4j.appender.mypackageAppender.MaxBackupIndex=5
log4j.appender.mypackageAppender.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.mypackageAppender.layout.ConversionPattern=%-5p [%-8.8t]: %39.39c %-6r - %m%n

log4j.logger.org.mypackage=INFO, mypackageAppender
log4j.additivity.org.mypackage=false

log4j.rootLogger=WARN, defaultAppender

Jake

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:54:38 -0300