good to hear that's working! Would really appreciate further feedback on what works/doesn't etc as we get closer to a release.

cheers,

Paul
On 22/01/2009, at 12:23 AM, Adamides, Paul O wrote:

That did the trick!

You are the man Pauly! ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Smith [mailto:psm...@aconex.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:41 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: Can't get basic Zeroconf example to work.

Actually here's the 'official' 1.0 jar published in the Maven Central
repository:

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/jmdns/jmdns/1.0/jmdns-1.0.jar

Try that one, I'll keep looking at 2.0 (they don't call me the upgrade-
a-tron for nothing).

cheers,

Paul
On 21/01/2009, at 8:32 AM, Paul Smith wrote:

Very simple and straight forward.

However, as soon as I run the app, I get the following Error:

java.lang.InstantiationError: javax.jmdns.JmDNS
        at
org.apache.log4j.net.Zeroconf4log4j.<clinit>(Zeroconf4log4j.java:23)
        at
org
.apache .log4j.net.ZeroConfSocketHubAppender.activateOptions(ZeroConfS
ocketHubAppender.java:45)

Looking at the javadoc for that Error:

* Thrown when an application tries to use the Java <code>new</code>
* construct to instantiate an abstract class or an interface.
* <p>
* Normally, this error is caught by the compiler; this error can
* only occur at run time if the definition of a class has
* incompatibly changed.

My guess is that you have an incorrect version of the JmDNS library
in your classpath.  Which version of jmdns are you using?

log4j-zeroconf requires:

[INFO] [dependency:tree]
[INFO] log4j:apache-log4j-zeroconf:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] +- junit:junit:jar:3.8.1:test
[INFO] +- log4j:log4j:jar:1.2.16-SNAPSHOT:compile
[INFO] \- jmdns:jmdns:jar:1.0:compile

I now notice that JmDns has a 2.0 available, which is probably the
issue here.  Could you download 1.0 and replace it (looking at
sourceforge, they don't appear to publish older jars, weird, if you
like I can send you the jmdns 1.0 jar in a separate, direct email)? I

'll go and play with JmDNS 2.0 to test compatibility with that.
Since log4j-zeroconf is not a released product yet, if 2.0 looks the
goods, I'll mark log4j-zeroconf to depend on that.

Paul

Paul Smith
Production Engineering Manager

Aconex
The easy way to save time and money on your project

696 Bourke Street, Melbourne,
VIC 3000, Australia
Tel: +61 3 9240 0200  Fax: +61 3 9240 0299
Email: psm...@aconex.com  www.aconex.com

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee.
The contents may be privileged, confidential and/or subject to
copyright or other applicable law. No confidentiality or privilege is
lost by an erroneous transmission. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please let us know by reply e-mail and delete or destroy this
mail and all copies. If you are not the intended recipient of this
message you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance
on it. The sender takes no responsibility for the effect of this
message upon the recipient's computer system.

The information contained in this message may be privileged,
confidential, and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or any employee or agent
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately

Thank you. Paychex, Inc.