Hi,

I really liked this logging checklist by Anton Chuvakin:

http://juliusdavies.ca/logging/llclc.html

------------------------------

Best Logs:

    * Tell you exactly what happened: when, where, and how.
    * Suitable for manual, semi-automated, an automatated analysis.
    * Can be analyzed without having the application that produced them at hand.
    * Don't slow the system down.
    * Can be proven reliable (if used as evidence).

Events To Log

   1. Authentication/Authorization Decisions (including logoff)
   2. System Access, Data Access
   3. System/Application Changes (especially privilege changes)
   4. Data Changes:
         1. Add Data
         2. Edit Data
         3. Delete Data
   5. Invalid Input (possible badness/threats)
   6. Resources (RAM, Disk, CPU, Bandwidth, any other hard or soft limits)
   7. Health/Availibility
         1. Startups/Shutdowns
         2. Faults/Errors
         3. Delays
         4. Backups success/failure

What To Log - Every Event Should Have:

   8. Timestamp + TZ (when)
   9. System, Application, or Component (where)
         1. IP's and contemporaneous DNS lookups of involved parties
         2. Names/Roles of involved systems (what servers are we talking to?)
         3. Name/Role of local application (what is this server?)
  10. User (who)
  11. Action (what)
  12. Status (result)
  13. Priority (severity, importance, rank, level, etc)
  14. Reason

--
yours,

Julius Davies