From: Matt Brown [mailto:matt.br...@citrixonline.com]
Sent: Monday, 27 April, 2009 16:28
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: RE: Log stack trace or simply message option?

I'm kind of curious why you wouldn't want the stacktrace in "release"
mode. Isn't it just as valuable to you then as it is during "debug" mode
- perhaps moreso if it is a "release" version of your software?

You could just log the exceptions to a different level, one that is not
enabled in the "release" mode, something like:

catch (SomeException e) {
   log.debug("caught SomeException", e);
   log.error("caught SomeException");
}

And then have the debug level disabled in "release" version.