I'm fairly sure this isn't possible, but I figured I should check, just in case.

Currently, I have the DRFA set up to roll the log files over at
midnight each day. Nice and simple. However, they all currently wind
up in the same directory, which is not ideal. What I would prefer is
for each month to have a separate directory, so the directory
structure would be like so:

<BASEDIR>
    |----2008
        |----01
        |----02
        |----03
        .
        .
        .
    |----2009
        |----01
        |----02
        |----03
        .
        .
        .
etc.

Just makes it a little easier to find the log file I'm looking for, as
there could easily be hundreds of them. Obviously, if Log4J can't do
this, then I can either live with it or write my own appender.

On a related note, is there any facility in Log4J to have it compress
old log files? I've currently got my own log file archiver (written
outside of Log4J, and tied rather heavily to an in-house application),
but if Log4J provides this facility, I might be better off using that
instead.

Thanks,

- Andrew Thorburn