Michael's exactly right about this one. We dynamically create the log4j
config file each time on startup, so that we can change things like the JDBC
database name or JMS message queue as our user config changes. We try to
catch invalid syntax and such before writing the XML but occasionally we'll
hit a case that will cause the XML to fail to load or an appender to fail to
connect to whatever it needs to.

Debug prints to stdout are great for development but they don't do anything
for us in the field. Programmatic verification of startup and occasional
monitoring (or callbacks if something stops working) are really the only
good options I can think of unless logging is just a "nice to have" and
isn't a critical subsystem.

Eric