On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:59:23 +0530
 Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshri...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com> wrote:
When -Dlog4j.debug=true is set, Log4j prints its configuration progress to
System.err.  With this, you should be able to see which config file is being
picked up

Thanks Jake.

Thanks, I could see it on catalina.out file where in system.out and
system.err files goes.

You can run your appender at a specified time by not placing
log4j.properties in the classpath.  But then you'll have to manually
configure it at some later point.

Please help me understand by providing examples.

Basically if i set log4j.appender.R.DatePattern='.'yyyy-MM-dd in
log4j.properties It rolls over at midnight. is there a way to roll
over at say 12:00 Noon afternoon

Oh, I see.  Sorry, I thought you were asking if you could delay instantiation of your appender.  Rather, you want to define when it rolls.  See:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/DailyRollingFileAppender.html

As you can see, DailyRollingFileAppender is somewhat lacking in flexibility.  You may have more luck with the Log4j-extras companion [1].  Specifically, RollingFileAppender [2] with a TimeBasedRollingPolicy [3].

[1] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/index.html
[2] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/RollingFileAppender.html [3] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/rolling/TimeBasedRollingPolicy.html

Jake

Please suggest/guide further

Thanks, Kaushal