I just tried this and it worked fine....I modified the Chainsaw config file
I was using (anything received by Chainsaw can also be sent to appenders
defined in the same config)...configuration and example log file output
below:

Here's what I added to the Chainsaw config file:
   <appender name="F1" class="org.apache.log4j.FileAppender">
       <param name="file" value="c:/temp/file.txt"/>
       <param name="append" value="false"/>
         <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%p %c - p1:%X{p1} p2:%X{p2}
%m%n"/>
       </layout>
     </appender>

     <appender name="A1" class="org.apache.log4j.rewrite.RewriteAppender">
       <appender-ref ref="F1"/>
       <rewritePolicy
class="org.apache.log4j.rewrite.PropertyRewritePolicy">
         <param name="properties" value="p1=Hello,p2=World,x1=3.1415"/>
       </rewritePolicy>
     </appender>

   <root>
      <level value="debug"/>
       <appender-ref ref="A1" />
    </root>

And here is an example output line:
DEBUG Unknown - p1:Hello p2:World 20110916 09:16:16.870 NOTICE   RI- RI.DRI
 FATAL ERROR WARNING INFO