Hey -  thanks for the quick reply!  Ya know, I read that bit
but the jar file I have is named log4j-1.2-17.jar, and I thought
it comprised everything.  When I downloaded the code, that's
the only jar file there was.  Clearly, I was delusional!  I'll go
look for the corresponding API and core jar files...
Thanks again!