Hi Guys,

 I'm trying to use log4j to write to a file for my Java web application.
Based on what I've read, I have the following setup:

My web.xml file contains the following:

 <servlet>
 <servlet-name>log4j-init</servlet-name>
 <servlet-class>com.tacticalenterprisesltd.Log4jInit</servlet-class>
 <init-param>
 <param-name>log4j-init-file</param-name>
 <param-value>WEB-INF\properties\log4j_FILE.properties</param-value>
 </init-param>
 <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
 </servlet>

 <servlet-mapping>
 <servlet-name>log4j-init</servlet-name>
 <url-pattern>/log4j-init/*</url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>

 My servlet Log4jInit looks like this:

01.package com.tacticalenterprisesltd;
02.
03.import org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator;
04.import javax.servlet.http.*;
05.
06.
07.public class Log4jInit extends HttpServlet
08.{
09.  public void init()
10.  {
11.      try{
12.      String prefix = getServletContext().getRealPath("/");
13.      String file = getInitParameter("log4j-init-file");
14.      if(file != null)
15.      {
16.          System.out.println("Log4jInit.init - prefix + file: " + prefix
+ file);
17.          PropertyConfigurator.configure(prefix + file);
18.      }
19.      }
20.      catch(Exception e){e.printStackTrace();}
21.  }
22.
23.  public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res){}
24.}

 My properties file looks like this:

 # Define the root logger with appender file
 log4j.rootLogger = DEBUG, FILE

 # Define the file appender
 log4j.appender.FILE=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
 # Set the name of the file
 log4j.appender.FILE.File=C:\\logs\\myLog.txt

 # Set the immediate flush to true (default)
 log4j.appender.FILE.ImmediateFlush=true

 # Set the threshold to debug mode
 log4j.appender.FILE.Threshold=debug

 # Set the append to false, should not overwrite
 log4j.appender.FILE.Append=true

 # Set the maximum file size before rollover
 log4j.appender.FILE.MaxFileSize=5KB

 # Set the the backup index
 log4j.appender.FILE.MaxBackupIndex=2

 # Define the layout for file appender
 log4j.appender.FILE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
 log4j.appender.FILE.layout.conversionPattern=%m%n

 As you can see, I'm telling log4j to write to a file at C:\logs\myLog.txt
Pretty straight forward right. Well, it doesn't seem to think so since it
isn't writing to the file at all. I have another properties file which tells
log4j to print to the console. It doesn't seem to have a problem with that
one. Could someone please advise as to what might be going wrong. Any help
will be appreciated.

 Alan