In my own projects, I was using it manually to log exactly what I thought
it was for. However, the method with no specified level uses Level.TRACE if
I recall correctly, and that level is usually disabled.

Anyway, is this provided more so as a method to be automatically injected
via bytecode manipulation (along with logger.entry(), logger.exit(),
logger.throwing(), etc.)? Or done manually? If done manually, you can get
some rather amusingly messy methods. For example, from some code I've
written like that:

<
https://raw.github.com/jvz/dynunit/master/src/main/java/atg/tools/dynunit/DynUnit.java

Anyway, I'm asking now because I don't see log4j2 even using it internally
where appropriate. Is this more of a personal preference thing?

--
Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>