Log4j currently compresses the files when it rolls them over. Of course you can
cause that to happen based on time, but it sounds like you want the time of
rollover and time of compression to be separate.  If so, I am not sure you
really need to tie the compression activity to Log4j, or at least the appender
at all.  You just need something that monitors the directory and looks for
files over a certain age and then compresses them, deletes them, or whatever.

If I’ve misunderstood what you are asking please let me know.

Ralph