Hi,

I understand the current version of log4j is 2.x, but our company using
log4j 1.x and so my question is specific to version 1.x:

It's said here

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/webapp.html

that

"You must take particular care when using Log4j or any other logging
framework within a Java EE web application. It's important for logging
resources to be properly cleaned up (database connections closed, files
closed, etc.) when the container shuts down or the web application is
undeployed. Because of the nature of class loaders within web applications,
Log4j resources cannot be cleaned up through normal means. Log4j must be
"started" when the web application deploys and "shut down" when the web
application undeploys. How this works varies depending on whether your
application is a Servlet 3.0 or
newer<http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/webapp.html#Servlet-3.0>or
Servlet
2.5 <http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/webapp.html#Servlet-2.5>web
application."

Questions:
1) How do I start Log4j?  Did I miss something?  Currently I'm using log
for 4 in my jsp / java as follows:

import or.apache.log4j.Logger;
Logger log = Logger.getLogger("LoggerName");
log.error("msg");

2) How do I "shut down" Log4j per above?  If there is a service call that I
have to make before and after Tomcat gets started, I am not aware.

3) What if I don't start / shudown Log4J correctly, what files / resources
will remain and where is the resource located and how do I clean up the
resource?

4) Since can redeploy my web app, this means I can go in and delete the
whole tomcat temp directory AND whatever resources (files) that log4j
uses... so what's the concern?

Thank you,
Gordon