This is just gone off the tangent line... in a good way though.

We are going to try to push back and redesign the process to just simply
make use of JMSAppender to put messages on a queue and have JMS clients
consume them (and ultimately insert the logs into a database -- maybe use
JSON for messages). The MQ runs within an integration broker, hence an
initial idea of routing logging SOAP/service calls through the same broker
that handles/routes other web services.

This whole marshalling and unmarshalling is very inefficient, on top of a
fact that this proposed logging service is entirely internal to begin with.