First, your understanding is incorrect.  You can attach appenders to any logger, not just the root.  Second, there must be some other stray log4j config file being loaded, instead of this one, that logs to a file appender pointing at the same file as the one in this log4j.properties.

I suggest you start up the server with the following system property set to be able to see how log4j is loading configuration...

-Dlog4j.debug=true

Jake

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 11:31:22 +0530