Yes it did appear toByteArray would do the job on the /sending/ side but what about the /receiving/ side? We've got to put some bytes on the wire that will come out as a LogEvent from the readObject() call in ObjectInputStreamLogEventBridge. You can't have the sender be Externalizable and the received class be only Serializable.

Unless you're proposing we make a totally new LogEventBridge -- i.e. a 'compact binary' protocol to go alongside the XML and Json versions. If we go that route then you could achieve even more compression since we know every object that we're sending is a LogEvent and even Externalizable has some overhead that we could do away with.