Did you import OutputStreamAppender, etc. and are log4j-api and log4j-core in
the compile classpath?

The “StubManager” is where all the real i/o happens and will typically persist
across a reconfiguration if the Appender is still being used. For an
OutputStreamAppender it would probably extend OutputStreamManager.

You probably want to look at something like ConsoleAppender to see how a real
Appender works.

Ralph