Remko, that is not exactly correct.  If you specify %i in the filePattern once
the max value is hit the oldest file that matches the complete pattern will be
deleted automatically.  The issue you are speaking of is that when the pattern
includes a date via %d we will not delete files from previous dates.

If the pattern only contains %d and does not contain %i then the files will
never be deleted by Log4j.

Ralph