Yes, Java 7 or higher, so Java 8 is fine.

I'm still trying to understand the problem. I understand that the application
receives and logs large JSON Strings.
After that I don't understand.
Are these strings 3MB long, and they cause Log4j to build up 250MB buffers?

Do you have a small program that demonstrates the problem?

Remko
Sent from my iPhone