Our team is fairly standardized on using log4j2 over log4j, commons-logging or
any other framework.

This had presented some issues with jboss-eap which does not support log4j2.
Nevertheless, for applications running on the jboss-server it was fairly easy,
and even a good thing to package log4j2 as a jboss module and do all our
application logging through that.  Let JBoss use jboss-logging for its internal
use.

I believe this pattern has now broken down over a standalone client application
that talks to the EJBs we deploy on another server.  Although I can easily put
log4j2 on the runtime classpath of this application, the client libraries that
one must also include in order to talk to JBoss, need jboss-logging.  So I have
both sets of jars on my classpath.  I believe that this has resulted in

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
org.jboss.ejb.client.EJBClientContext

errors at runtime.

I am not sure that the logging conflict is the reason, but at this point I am
"liking" this theory as my #1 suspect.  I have looked at all the dependency
graphs and find that nothing is missing, so what else could it be?

I could switch to log4j1 for the client app, but some of our code must run on
jboss so that isn't a good solution.

Is there a standard way to handle this that I could try to prevent any
conflicts?