From: Ido Ophir
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 1:08 AM
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: I think I encounter a bug in log4j

Hi,
I want to have different log files written in dynamic folders and dynamic files
names based on threadContext parameters.

This is my setup

1.      I have 2 context variables, that I write to the ThreadContext, Session
and Revision.

2.      I configured my log4j2 to write to
session-${ctx:sessionId}/rev-${ctx:revisionName}.log

e.g.
                   <Routing name="FILE_ROUTING_PER_REVISION">
                                <Routes pattern="$${ctx:revisionName}">
                                  <!-- This route is chosen if ThreadContext
has no value for key revisionName. -->
                                  <Route key="$${ctx:revisionName}">
                                    <RollingFile name="Rolling-default"
fileName="${env:APPLICATION_HOME}/log/default.log"

filePattern="${env:APPLICATION_HOME}/log/${date:yyyy-MM}/default-%d{yyyy-MM-dd}-%i.log.gz">
                                             <PatternLayout

pattern="${pattern}" />
                                      <Policies>

<OnStartupTriggeringPolicy />
                                      </Policies>
                                    </RollingFile>
                                  </Route>

                                  <!-- This route is chosen if ThreadContext
has a value for revisionName
                                       The value dynamically determines the
name of the log file. -->
                                  <Route>
                                    <RollingFile
name="Rolling-${ctx:revisionName}"
fileName="${env:APPLICATION_HOME}/log/session-${ctx:sessionId}/rev-${ctx:revisionName}.log"

filePattern="${env:APPLICATION_HOME}/log/${date:yyyy-MM}/s-${ctx:sessionId}-rev-${ctx:revisionName}-%i.log.gz">
                                             <PatternLayout

pattern="${pattern_with_session_info}" />
                                             <Policies>

<OnStartupTriggeringPolicy />
                                             </Policies>
                                    </RollingFile>
                                  </Route>
                                </Routes>
                              </Routing>

3.      The log  file full path name  includes the information as well within
the log entry itself in each line, since I defined it as part of the pattern.

                              <Property

name="pattern_with_session_info">%d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss},
[session=%mdc{sessionId} rev=%mdc{revisionName}], %-5level, %c{1},
%msg%n%throwable</Property>

When I run this configuration I encounter 2 issues

1)      The first session indeed creates a folder e.g. session-5c03c  and a
file called rev-2c44b.log BUT it includes information from other sessions as
well. E.g. session 5c041 below.

1/16/2017 17:19

[session=5c03c rev=2c44b]

DEBUG

FetchCoverageFilesJob

Starting COV files Fetch for rev 2c44b451b5a39a7b3a79640bc39b4bb087c86b1f

1/16/2017 17:19

[session=5c03c rev=2c44b]

DEBUG

FetchCoverageFilesJob

Fetching cov files:

test

1/16/2017 17:19

[session=5c03c rev=2c44b]

DEBUG

FetchCoverageFilesJob

Saving cov file 'test' to DB COMPLETED

1/16/2017 17:19

[session=5c03c rev=2c44b]

DEBUG

FetchCoverageFilesJob

Saving cov file 'test' to DB COMPLETED

for term *

1/16/2017 17:19

[session=5c041 rev=2c44b]

DEBUG

FetchCoverageFilesJob

Starting COV files Fetch for rev 2c44b451b5a39a7b3a79640bc39b4bb087c86b1f

1/16/2017 17:19

[session=5c041 rev=2c44b]

DEBUG

FetchCoverageFilesJob

Fetching cov files:

test

2)      After the first session folder was created all the other sessions does
not create new folder and their entries goes to the first folder.

My questions:

1)      It is a configuration issue or a bug in the log4j?

2)      Why the same parameter e.g. sessionId has 2 different names in the
log4j.xml per it's location?

In the routing definition I had to use -${ctx:sessionId} and in the entry
itself I had to use %mdc{sessionId}. (I played a lot with this configuration
till it started working, and this exact combination is the only one that seems
to work)
Is there a way to define it with the same name for both needs in the xml file.
E.g ${ctx:sessionId} and %{ctx:sessionId}?

3)      Is there other way to achieve my target - e.g.
folder-session-xxx/revision-yyy.log while there are some sessions running  on
different threads and each one might set the thread context information at 'the
same time'. (currently there is no synchronization mechanism between the
threads).

Thanks,

Ido

PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is
intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that you have received this message in error and that any review,
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by
telephone or e-mail (as shown above) immediately and destroy any and all copies
of this message in your possession (whether hard copies or electronically
stored copies).