After having used both (Hipchat for my consultancy, Gitter for some open
source projects), I'd have to say I strongly prefer Gitter due to both the
UI as well as the lower barrier to entry for users. Users can log in to
Gitter via GitHub or Twitter (possibly more accounts now). The web
interface works fine, and there's a desktop and mobile version (similar to
Slack and Hipchat in that regard). Gitter is also more oriented towards
programmers than Hipchat. For example, Gitter automatically expands out
Gists and links PRs and issues (not sure if that integrates with JIRA).