Thanks for looking into this!

I do have a log4j2.xml in tomcat/lib, was thinking that would be used by the
common classloader for the commomLib log...

I guess the problem is that the commonLib classes were only referenced by the
webapp code, thus the loggerContext for the commonLib was created during the
webapp loading. Followings are the debug logs for reference:

---
DEBUG StatusLogger Log4jServletContainerInitializer starting up Log4j in
Servlet 3.0+ environment.
DEBUG StatusLogger Using ShutdownCallbackRegistry class
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.util.DefaultShutdownCallbackRegistry
DEBUG StatusLogger Using the servlet context name "webapp1".
DEBUG StatusLogger getConfigURI found [classpath:log4j2.xml] in servletContext
at [classpath:log4j2.xml]
DEBUG StatusLogger Took 0.119686 seconds to load 204 plugins from
WebappClassLoader
  context: /webapp1
  delegate: false
  repositories:
    /WEB-INF/classes/
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.URLClassLoader@6dde5c8c
..
DEBUG StatusLogger Starting LoggerContext[name=webapp1] from configuration at
classpath:log4j2.xml
..
// then after initialized some of the code that referenced the commonLib classes

DEBUG StatusLogger Starting LoggerContext[name=6dde5c8c,
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext@3240b374]...
DEBUG StatusLogger Reconfiguration started for context[name=6dde5c8c] at URI
null (org.apache.logging.log4j.core.LoggerContext@3240b374) with optional
ClassLoader: null
DEBUG StatusLogger Using configurationFactory
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.ConfigurationFactory$Factory@5b34ed62
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2-test6dde5c8c.properties] using
context class loader WebappClassLoader
  context: /webapp1
  delegate: false
  repositories:
    /WEB-INF/classes/
----------> Parent Classloader:
java.net.URLClassLoader@6dde5c8c
..
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2.jsn] using
ClassLoader.getSystemResource().
TRACE StatusLogger Trying to find [log4j2.xml] using context class loader
WebappClassLoader
  context: /webapp1
  delegate: false
  repositories: