1.       With these traces can I confirm I'm using full asynchronous
logging?

Yes. We see AsyncLogger and not AsyncConfigLogger so all logging is happening
asynchronously.

2.       I've read that async logging starts just one thread, but here I see
2 (like when we mix sync and async logging). Is this true?

I would also expect just 1 async logging background thread. Unsure why there
are two.

3.       How can I remove these errors from the catalina.out? The
application stops correctly so these messages are not really a problem, but
I'd prefer to remove them if it's possible.

Unsure why these warnings are showing. I spend quite a bit of time making them
go away with a previous version of log4j but they’re back again. :-(
I’m not going to try again.

(Shameless plug) Every java main() method deserves http://picocli.info