To stop me hardcoding repetitive patterns in Appenders, I defined several
<Property> elements as such. Most my Appenders go to files and a couple to
the console. In addition, to prevent a multiplicity of plain-text vs. color
text patterns, I defined color conversions in my patterns.

Clearly, this dual purpose doesn't work.

My log files have escape characters in them. I understand why (ANSI color
escape sequences), but I am really *surprised* to see them! Perhaps this
was a bad assumption of mine, but .... it seemed absolutely natural/obvious
to me that files have no colors. Thus, I was not expecting those color
conversions to pose interference.

Does a use case exist for putting "colors" in files? If not, shouldn't a
file Appender just elide that styling?

PS: I am using Log4J2 version 2.11.2.

Cheers and God bless,
Paul