You can’t atomically swap an appender. If you remove it and then add a new one
with the same name you will lose log events targeted at the appender while it
is removed. You could add a new appender with a different name and then modify
all the loggers using the old one to use the new one, but Log4j won’t do that
for you.

What problem are you trying to solve?  Log4j might already have a different way
of supporting it.

Ralph