Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the reply. That worked for me, but I have a couple of
suggestions:

   1.

   In the documentation, it is not mentioned that the script can return null
   to signal that none of the appenders in that block’s AppenderSet should be
   selected. It is worthwhile to mention that in the docs.
   2.

   With how ScriptAppenderSelector is working now, the log configuration
   becomes quite verbose:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><Configuration status="debug"
name="ScriptAppenderSelectorExample">
    <Appenders>
        <ScriptAppenderSelector name="SelectConsole">
            <Script language="groovy"><![CDATA[
                if (System.getProperty("CONSOLE_APPENDER_ENABLED",
'true').equalsIgnoreCase('true')) {
                    return "Console"
                } else {
                    return null
                }
            ]]></Script>
            <AppenderSet>
                <Console name="Console" target="SYSTEM_OUT">
                    <PatternLayout pattern="%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%t]
%-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n"/>
                </Console>
            </AppenderSet>
        </ScriptAppenderSelector>

        <ScriptAppenderSelector name="SelectFile">
            <Script language="groovy"><![CDATA[
                if (System.getProperty("FILE_APPENDER_ENABLED",
'true').equalsIgnoreCase('true')) {
                    return "File"
                } else {
                    return null
                }
            ]]></Script>
            <AppenderSet>
                <File name="File" fileName="application.log">
                    <PatternLayout pattern="%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%t]
%-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n" />
                </File>
            </AppenderSet>
        </ScriptAppenderSelector>

        <ScriptAppenderSelector name="SelectSMTP">
            <Script language="groovy"><![CDATA[
                if (System.getProperty("SMTP_APPENDER_ENABLED",
'true').equalsIgnoreCase('true')) {
                    return "SMTP"
                } else {
                    return null
                }
            ]]></Script>
            <AppenderSet>
                <SMTP name="SMTP"
                      subject="App: Error"
                      from="lo...@example.com"
                      to="supp...@example.com"
                      smtpHost="smtp.example.com"
                      smtpPort="25"
                      bufferSize="5">
                </SMTP>
            </AppenderSet>
        </ScriptAppenderSelector>
    </Appenders>
    <Loggers>
        <Root level="info">
            <AppenderRef ref="SelectConsole"/>
        </Root>
    </Loggers></Configuration>

If the script could return a list of appenders to be selected instead of
just one appender, the configuration would become more concise:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Configuration status="debug" name="ScriptAppenderSelectorExample">
    <Appenders>
        <ScriptAppenderSelector name="SelectMultiple">
            <Script language="groovy"><![CDATA[
                def selected = []

                if (System.getProperty("CONSOLE_APPENDER_ENABLED",
'true').equalsIgnoreCase('true')) {
                    selected.add("Console")
                }

                if (System.getProperty("FILE_APPENDER_ENABLED",
'true').equalsIgnoreCase('true')) {
                    selected.add("File")
                }

                if (System.getProperty("SMTP_APPENDER_ENABLED",
'true').equalsIgnoreCase('true')) {
                    selected.add("SMTP")
                }

                return selected
            ]]></Script>
            <AppenderSet>
                <Console name="Console" target="SYSTEM_OUT">
                    <PatternLayout pattern="%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%t]
%-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n"/>
                </Console>
                <File name="File" fileName="application.log">
                    <PatternLayout pattern="%d{HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%t]
%-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n" />
                </File>
                <SMTP name="SMTP"
                      subject="App: Error"
                      from="lo...@example.com"
                      to="supp...@example.com"
                      smtpHost="smtp.example.com"
                      smtpPort="25"
                      bufferSize="5">
                </SMTP>
            </AppenderSet>
        </ScriptAppenderSelector>
    </Appenders>
    <Loggers>
        <Root level="info">
            <AppenderRef ref="SelectMultiple"/>
        </Root>
    </Loggers>
</Configuration>

If that makes sense, I can work on a PR.
Best regards,
Behrang Saeedzadeh
blog.behrang.org