I am not very active on the Log4j2 project any more, but I remember
how it always rubbed me that the build takes so long.
I use Gradle wherever I can in my projects. It makes the build much faster.
The problem I see with migrating the Log4j2 build to Gradle (even if
all committers would buy in to the idea) is that I am not aware of a
Gradle plugin that is equivalent to maven-site-plugin for building the
site.