On 10/08/2010 06:46 PM, Dave Nay wrote:
> To improve the accuracy of our log messages in log4net, I went looking
> for a method to improve the date stamp.  I found that the NLog library
> has a formatter for adding a QueryPerformanceCounter to a log entry.
>  Not wanting to switch logging libraries, I converted their feature into
> a PatternConverter for log4net.  I have included the file here if anyone
> is interested in using it or merging it into log4net proper.
>
> Also, are there any thoughts on if using a QPC is the proper method
> here, or if a System.Diagnostics.Stopwatch would be preferred?
>
> Dave
>
> --
> Dave Nay
> Senior Software Developer
> Mettler Toledo CI-Vision

hi dave,

I just didn't get it out of your mail: what exactly does this thing do
and what should it do? from what I understood it just generates some
kind of numeric that will be added near the datetime of a log entry? why
wouldn't you print the CPU cycle there? I'm quite sure that would be
vastly faster than these string operations, which, from a first point of
view cost a significant amount of performance.

oh and, ahm, your code cant be merged into log4net as the licenses are
incompatible (see your header).

greetings,
d.