Is your .NET 4 support just in the NAnt scripts? It's probably safe to replace
the VS2008 solution file with a VS2010 version.

________________________________
From: Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
To: log4net-dev@logging.apache.org
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2011 6:14 AM
Subject: State of Client Profile and .NET 4.0 Support

Hi all,

I've hacked in client profile support - the NAnt build files are
becoming a bigger mess of copy-paste with each change, but this is a
different story.

I've taken Tasos' approach and defined a CLIENT_PROFILE compilation
symbol and conditionally excluded the ASP.NET stuff if it is present and
in addition NAnt won't reference System.Web.

I haven't performed any extensive testing but at least I was able to
build a minimal client profile command line app and write a log message
to a file using the 3.5 Client Profile assembly created (which in
reality is a 2.0 Client Profile assembly).

For 4.0 this doesn't work, but it is not due to Client Profile but to
the security related exception I already raised in a different thread.
As soon as I try to load any type from any of the two assemblies
targeting 4.0 a TypeLoadException is raised because of

Inheritance security rules violated while overriding member:
'log4net.Util.ReadOnlyPropertiesDictionary.GetObjectData(System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo,
System.Runtime.Serialization.StreamingContext)'.
Security accessibility of the overriding method must match the security
accessibility of the method being overriden.
log4net.Util.ReadOnlyPropertiesDictionary.GetObjectData(System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo,
System.Runtime.Serialization.StreamingContext)"}

So this isn't related to ADO.NET as I suspected in the other thread.

Of the three patches attached to LOG4NET-233 two contain security
related attributes in the 4.0 case - but they take different
approaches.  I'll have to read up on the differences of the security
models and the ramifications of either approach before deciding what to
do.  I can't promise this will happen this weekend (rather unlikely).

Any advice from people with more (should I say any?) knowledge is
welcome 8-)

Stefan