On 2011-09-12, Curt Arnold wrote:

> The rolling file appenders are the single greatest cause of recurring
> problems in log4j and all those problems have been inherited by
> log4net.

Quite possible.  RollingFileAppender is responsible for more than 10% of
all open log4net issues right now.

> There was a sandbox development of a MultiFileAppender (a file
> appender which could manage multiple open files) for log4j several
> years ago and it seemed like the use cases for the rolling file
> appenders could be addressed within the MultiFIleAppender.[1]

I can see how this would work with rolling if you are willing to accept
that the "primary" log file doesn't have a fixed name.  This doesn't mix
well with "tail -f some.log" (rolling right now doesn't either, but you
get a "file truncated" message or something to that effect).

MultiFileAppender addresses similar use cases as RollingFileAppender,
they sometimes overlap, but I don't think it could be a full
replacement.

> This link should catch most of the earlier discussion, but it has been a long
> time since I've reviewed those messages:

> http://search.gmane.org/?query=MultiFileAppender&author=&group=gmane.comp.jakarta.log4j.devel&sort=revdate&DEFAULTOP=and&xP=multifileappender&xFILTERS=Gcomp.jakarta.log4j.devel---A--A

I promise to read through this, but (probably much) later. 8-)

Stefan

[1]