Hi,

I wanted to fix LOG4NET-215 and started by writing a few tests for the
existing code (as it looked unnecessarily complex to me) and stumbled
over the case of trailing dots - which is the reason the code looked so
complex in the first place.

NamedPatternConverter is the base class used by %logger and %type.
While it may be unlikely that %type will return a name with a trailing
dot, %logger could in theory contain whatever it wants.

In log4net 1.2.10 a logger with name "A.B." will return "B." with
%logger{1} while a logger with name "."  would return an empty string.

My changed code now will return "B." and "." respectively to make things
consistent even though I initially expected both to return an empty
string.

Does anybody think the old behavior was better than what we have now?
If so I need to add some special handling for the "." case.

Stefan