On 2016-10-18, Joe wrote:

> I'm responding to Stefan's call-to-arms, though I have limited time
> available, currently probably not more than a day or two a month.

Which may be more than Dominik and I have spent in some month. Welcome!

> Given my lack of time I would probably want to get involved in
> specific short-term tasks, such as taking on issues from the issue
> tracker, rather than being a driver to shape the future of log4net.

Whatever suits you best.

> I have been involved recently in writing a custom asynchronous
> appender that logs to a WebAPI, so asynchronous appenders is one area
> I could get involved in.

If you'd find some time to look into
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4NET-407 that would be great.

The code even made it into the 1.3.x branch before we abandoned that, it
may need to get tweaked so the build system of trunk works.

> One thing I'd personally like to see is to drop support for some
> legacy platforms:

What Dominik said.

I'm not even sure the current code base builds on 1.x. I've got a VM
that builds 2.0 (by cheating and using 3.5 targeting 2.0) up to 4.5
(also cheating, unless I'm mistaken I'm using 4.6.x by now to build the
4.x releases).

> One way to approach it would be to remove the binaries for these
> platforms from the next release, and only remove from the source code
> if a reasonable period elapses without too much wailing and gnashing
> of teeth.

We've already announced the next release wouldn't contain binaries for
the compact framework and 1.x builds - I no longer have any of those
installed anymore as running a Win XP VM and keeping it away from a
public network simply isn't anything I want to do anymore.

Stefan