I did some research about this

I checked the log4net sources. The error is thrown in
AppenderSkelleton (the base class of all appenders).
public void DoAppend(LoggingEvent[] loggingEvents)  {
..
if (m_closed)
  {
    ErrorHandler.Error("Attempted to append to closed appender named
["+m_name+"].");
    return;
  }
}

m_closed in only set in
public void Close()

it reads in code docu:
It is a programming error to append to a closed appender.

Perhaps this is really a bug in one of the log4net appenders.

Can you post a simple as possible config, that reproduces the error on
your system? I will try to reproduce this and debug into log4net to
see whats going wrong with the appender.