Werner, Loren's check of IsDebugEnabled is the accepted way to accomplish what
you want. Beyond that though, if you're usage is like ours then most of the
time (99.999999999999999999% :-) you don't want the logging of those large
objects at all, but every once in a while you do. Well, we accepted that we'd
have to restart the application to get it, and we added a static _readonly_
variable that we check in addition to IsDebugEnabled. Since it's static
readonly, the JIT knows it can't be updated once it's set and will actually
omit the logging from the generated machine code -- it's one performance step
beyond IsDebugEnabled.

-Walden

--
Walden H Leverich III