Ah, apparently I *had* left some appenders using DBI_Buffer (DBI
appender subclass) in my config.   I retested a bunch of things today
and I could not reproduce the error unless I had my DBI_Buffer appender
in the config.

Further investigation showed that the mysql server was reaching its
maximum number of allowed connections (currently set at 250).

Apparently my appender is not closing its dbh filehandles.  I'm going to
start a separate thread, since the problem is something totally
different (in my code, probably).

I apologize for my inadequate testing :(

--
Rob