From: Rasmus K. Rendsvig <rends...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 4:26 AM
Subject: On the PhiNEWS Newsletter

Dear PhiLOG Members,

As Managing Editor of PhiNEWS - and on behalf of the editors-in-chief
including Vincent F. Hendricks, Pelle Guldborg Hansen, Stig Andur
Pedersen and Dov M. Gabbay - I must regretfully announce the end of
the newsletter. As the field of research that should be covered by the
newsletter grows, the administration does not, it is not viable for us
to publish another volume. A six-month / annual publication is simply
not enough, and most of the news printed would be outdated before the
first page is read.

Instead, I am glad to announce that a source of information on the
research area of philosophical logic and it's applications is still
available, namely at LORI (http://loriweb.org). LORI -  Logic and
Rational Interaction - is a web-based database focusing mainly on
rational agency as well as new interfaces with surrounding
disciplines, such as philosophy, mathematics, linguistics, computer
science, game theory, and cognitive science. The site was launched in
the spring of 2008 on the initiative of Johan van Benthem, Vincent F.
Hendricks, Fenrong Lui and Olivier Roy.

The site is updated almost daily with information on conferences,
workshops and special lectures, and of course calls for papers and
upcoming deadlines. As opposed to PhiNEWS, LORI does not publish
articles as the style of the site is an easier, journalistic read, but
on the other hand, we do publish conference and workshop reports -
shorts post-event reports written by attendees of the given event
about the main topics and primary discussion that took place. Further,
we are in the process of compiling a glossary of basic terms from the
research area, to be augmented with a section of online resources.

As it was the case with PhiNEWS, the information availabe on LORI is
largely submitted by its readers, and we therefore encouraged such to
submit relevant information, which will then be posted on the site.
Further, do not hesitate to announce own publications and working
papers, or simply small entries on exiting questions or areas of
research you are involved in. These are the things that keep LORI a
good read.

As this is a web based initiative, it will not be printed and send out
in hardcopy, but it does have other benefits. Primarily, there is no
wait. Readers can subscribe to the site's RSS Feed for instant
messaging about updates or choose to receive a daily, weekly or
monthly newsletter which includes all posts of the period ordered
periodically in one mail.  As a member of PhiLOG, we have set you up
with a monthly subscription. You should receive the first newsletter
in the beginning of October, giving you full summary of the activities
on the site from September. Youl will find an online version of the
newsletter for August here:
http://loriweb.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Logic-and-Rational-Interaction-Last-month-posts.html.
If you are not interested in receiving such a newsletter or wish to
change the frequency by which you receive it, simply go to the site,
type the receiving email address in the textfield in the "Newsletter"
widget and click the "Subscribe" button. This is equivalent to logging
in, and a "Manage your subscription" link will occur below the text
field. If you are only interested in certain research subfields or
calls for papers, you can go to http://loriweb.org and browse  by
content.

We would like to thank you for your interest in the PhiNEWS over the
years. Founded by Vincent F. Hendricks and Stig Andur Pedersen in
2002, we managed to publish 10 volumes in all over 5 years. All the
issues are still available at www.phinews.ruc.dk.

As a last piece of information conveyed by PhiNEWS, let me remind you
that ESSLLI 2010, The European Summer School of Language, Logic and
Information will be held at The University of Copenhagen, Denmark,
August 9-20, 2010. The PC chair is held by Prof. Valentin Goranko (The
Technical University of Denmark, while the OC Chair is held by Vincent
F. Hendricks (The University of Copenhagen). The deadline for Course
and Workshop proposals is September 7th. For more information refer to
www.esslli2010cph.info.

Best regards,
Rasmus K. Rendsvig
Managing Editor of PhiNEWS, Web Manager of LORIweb.org.

          ------
Rasmus K. Rendsvig
Department of Philosophy and Science Studies
Roskilde University, Denmark
Managing Editor / PHINEWS    : http://www.phinews.ruc.dk
Web Manager -- Logic and Rational Interaction   : http://loriweb.org
Managing Editor -- AUTOMATIC PRESS / VIP   :
http://www.vince-inc.com/automatic.html
Web: http://sites.google.com/site/rendsvig/