---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: LACCIR Virtual Institute <lac...@laccir.org>

The Computer Science Department of the Pontificia Universidad Católica
de Chile, along with the LACCIR Virtual Institute (Latin American and
Caribbean Collaborative ICT Research) are pleased to invite you to the
Presentation of Dr. Leslie Lamport titled "What is Computation?"
The presentation will take place on Tuesday November 16th at 11 AM
(GMT -3) in the San Agustín Auditorium at the Pontificia Universida
Católica de Chile, San Joaquín Campus, located at Av. Vicuña Mackenna
4860, Macul, Santiago, Chile.

To Join the Broadcast copy the following address on your browser window:

https://www.livemeeting.com/cc/laccir/join?id=NW9RSM&role=attend&pw=F%5CJ3%21%244wj

In case of technical difficulties, please contact videoconfere...@laccir.org

Title: What is Computation?

Abstract:

We depend on computer systems that are not dependable. No one knows
how to solve this problem, and I don't pretend to. But a better
understanding of what those systems do just might help a little. The
tool that people have been using for centuries to understand such
things is math. I will use math to explain what computation is. I will
assume a familiarity with grade-school arithmetic, and I will explain
the small amount of additional math that is required (which is much
simpler than arithmetic).

About the speaker:

Leslie Lamport is a world famous researcher in distributed algorithms.
He is also well known as the creator of LaTeX, which is a page layout
system used by scientists in a number of fields (information
technology, mathematics, physics, etc.) to produce documents
containing numerous mathematical formulae. He received a B.S. in
mathematics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1960,
and M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in mathematics from Brandeis University,
respectively in 1963 and 1972.

Leslie Lamport joined Microsoft Research in 2001 after working as a
research engineer for Digital Equipment since 1985. He received the
IEEE John von Neumann Medal (2008), ACM SIGOPS Hall of Fame Award
(2007) and IEEE Piore Award (2004). He has honorary doctorates from
Université Henri Poincaré, Nancy (2007), Universit della Svizzera
Italiana, Lugano (2006), Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
(2004), Christian Albrechts University, Kiel (2003), University of
Rennes (2003).

Personal Web: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/lamport/

--
Latin American and Caribbean Collaborative ICT Research.
www.laccir.org