---------- Forwarded message ----------

I am happy to announce Studia Logica International Conference Trends
in Logic XII:

The Logic of Simplicity

Organized by
Center for Formal Epistemology, Carnegie Mellon University

Pittsburgh, USA June 7-9. 2013–15, 2010

http://www.StudiaLogica.org/TrendsXII

Workshop subject: Ockham's razor is the characteristic bias toward
simple hypotheses that has characterized scientific inquiry since
Copernicus.  But what is it, exactly?  This workshop aims to revisit
that question from a fresh logical perspective.  Potential candidates
for the simplicity order include dimensionality, Kolmogorov
complexity, and VC dimension.  Candidates for Ockham's razor, itself,
include logical theories for revising belief in light of such an order
in the deterministic case and a host of model selection methods on the
side of statistics and machine learning.   This exploratory,
interdisciplinary workshop will explore a number of new and
interesting logical questions at the interface of logic and scientific
method. Which orders are simplicity orders?  Is simplicity relative to
questions or subject to other framing effects? How should a simplicity
order be modified in light of new information?  What may one believe
in light of a simplicity order and given information?  What should one
do if the simplicity order branches?   Are the essential features of a
simplicity order preserved by the associated belief revision rule? Are
standard belief revision principles descriptively plausible in
scientific applications? Is simplicity absolute or relative to framing
effects?  Is there any normative reason to revise according to
simplicity rather than some other principle?  Addressing these
fundamental questions promises both to sharpen our conception of
scientific method and to broaden our ideas about the logic of belief
revision, itself.

Tentative list of speakers: Alexandru Baltag, James Delgrande, Nina
Gierasimczuk, Kevin Kelly, Hanti Lin, Jacek Malinowski, Eric Martin,
Sonja Smets, Oliver Schulte.

Algebra Universalis researchers:
http://www.math.umanitoba.ca/homepages/au/Researchers.html
Logicians in Japan: logic...@sato.kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Logicians in China and Singapore
Polish Association for Logic and Philosophy of Science