The next session of the Logica Universalis Webinar (LUW) will be Wednesday
May 10 at 4pm CET

Speakers:  Ekaterina Kubyshkina and Mattia Petrolo
Title: Revising the Elenchus via Belief Revision
Abstract:  Vlastos’ famous characterization of the Socratic elenchus
focuses on two main aspects of this method: its epistemic roots and its
dialogical nature. Our aim is to lay the groundwork to formally capture
this characterization. To do so, first, we outline an epistemic framework
in which the elenchus can be inscribed. More precisely, we focus our
analysis on the passage from unconscious ignorance to conscious (or
Socratic)  ignorance and provide new insights about the epistemic outcome
of an elenctic argument. Secondly, from a logical perspective, we consider
the  elenchus as a dynamic exchange allowing Socrates’ respondents to
revise  their beliefs, on pain of inconsistency. By stressing this point,
we represent this method as a process of belief revision in dynamic
epistemic logic  and provide a new logical solution to what Vlastos called
the problem of the elenchus.
https://link.springer.com/journal/11787/online-first

Associate Organization:  LUCI (Logic, Uncertainty,  Computation and
Information Group), University of Milan, Italy
https://luci.unimi.it/
presented by Giuseppe Primiero

Chair: Ioannis Vandoulakis
Vice-President of the Logica Universalis Association
http://www.logica-universalis.org/LUAD

Everyone is welcome to attend. Access here:
https://cassyni.com/s/logica-universalis

Jean-Yves Beziau
Editor-in-Chief Logica Universalis and LUW Organizer
http://www.jyb-logic.org/

--
LOGICA-L
Lista acadêmica brasileira dos profissionais e estudantes da área de Lógica

Responder a