At 12:51 PM 3/2/2007, you wrote:

>On Mar 2, 2007, at 1:58 PM, Carl Lumma wrote:
>
>>> What I was trying to say (and apparently didn't express well)
>>> was that, in an audio CD course, it would be easier to learn the
>>> Lojban
>>> terminology a little at a time after teaching some phrases and
>>> vocabulary.
>>
>> What I was trying to say is that I'd rather not learn the
>> grammar at all -- I'd just like to learn to speak it.  That's
>> the real test of a language anyway.  All of you who are interested
>> in testing the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis can't hope to get any data
>> before people are speaking it fluently.
>>
>> -Carl
>
>I'm going to assume you mean you don't want to learn any
>named grammar. As in, you don't care what the stuff is called,
>you just want to learn how to use it. If you don't have any grammar
>at all in a course, all you'd learn from it would be a bunch of words
>in isolation and rote phrases. That would be helpful for the
>intermediate students who already know most of how to make sentences
>in Lojban and want to expand their vocabulary, but not ideal for the
>beginner.
>
>If we made something like the Pimsleur style CD, we probably
>wouldn't have any reason to name the grammar stuff anyhow. None
>of the CDs from Pimsleur that I've listened to do either.

Right!

>And that's how you learned your first language, so I find it more
>natural than purposely memorizing a set of rules.

That's the idea, yes.  Not that grammar isn't interesting.
In fact I could see myself getting carried far away with this
aspect of lojban.  But I don't want to let that happen -- it
happened to me with music -- I got turned from a practicing
musician into a full-time music theorist via my interest in
alternate tunings that are impossible to play on a piano.
Via a mailing list, whaddyaknow.

-Carl