> Vid, please have a look at this document.  As you can see, Japanese
> characters are possible within iso-8859-1.

This is actually incorrect.  Perhaps the truth is more like "certain
viewing software is willing to display Japanese characters when
suitably encoded even in text marked as being in 8859-1", but, I assure
you, ISO 8859-1 does not include any Japanese characters (unless you
count roumaji, a rendering of the Japanese syllabary in Latin-alphabet
letters, which in context I don't think is appropriate here).

> But then you need to refer Japanese characters by their
> code numbers. Example: the first of the three characters
> in "Japanese" is 日

...and is *not* an 8859-1 character.  I don't know what's going on -
perhaps whatever you're using to display it is doing something like
assuming the 8859-1 labeling should be ignored because it's obviously
wrong in the presence of non-8859-1 characters - but if you really
think 8859-1 supports Japanese, you need to go read up on ISO 8859.

> Vid (or anybody else), do you think this is a reansonable approach
> for Japanese in an multi-lingual HTML document?

I don't know what's right, unless perhaps just using something like
UTF-8 is suitable.  I don't know enough to know how to correctly label
something that uses (say) 8859-1 for most content but also includes
&#...; escapes for characters not from 8859-1 - maybe there is a
correct way to label it, or maybe such a thing is inherently a spec
violation.  (Perhaps labeling it 8859-1 is right, even, in which case
the only thing wrong was your wording above, implying that the
non-8859-1 characters were part of 8859-1.)

Surely there's a Web maven here who can say?

> How difficult is it to find the codes for all the other Japanese
> characters?

> Can you do it?

Any Unicode document that covers the CJK unified characters should do.
26085 is decimal for hex 65e5; U+65E5 is the character in question (I
dug out my Unicode PDFs and found the one for the 4E00-9FAF range, just
to check).  *Finding* the relevant character amid the tens of thousands
of characters there is likely to be a bit of a challenge, though.

That probably won't cover all Japanese characters, but between the kana
ranges and the CJK range you probably will get all the characters you
can actually use with any significant degree of portability.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               [EMAIL PROTECTED]