On Thursday 11 October 2007 05:50, Yoav Nir wrote:
> Hi.
> I'm new to studying lojban, and am working my way through "Lojban for
> beginners"
>
> I have a few questions already.
>
> First, is how to spell my name. I know the English spelling doesn't give a
> lot of clues (it's a Hebrew name). It's pronounced as two syllables, the
> first is like "Yo" in yonder, the second "av" as in the first syllable of
> "avril" in Spanish. I'm guessing that ioav won't cut it because of the
> three consecutive vowels, so should it be io,av. Also am I supposed to
> capitalize the second syllable (io,AV) to show where the stress is every
> time, or is that optional?

{ioav} is pronounced the same as {io,av} because {io} is a Lojban diphthong
and {oa} isn't.

If a name has an aleph in it, you can't pronounce it in Lojban as a glottal
stop. Doing so would turn it into two words {io av}; the first marks the
previous word with respect, and the second could be the name of a month.

The stress must be indicated if it differs from the default. The default
stress rule, though, was formulated for brivla, which don't have some vowel
patterns that occur in cmevla: diphthongs with 'y', 'y' in two consecutive
syllables, and 'y' in the last syllable. Then there are some languages that
don't have a stress accent, and there's no way to indicate that a cmevla has
no accent.

> Second, I've read that lojban names have to end in a consonant, so if they
> don't, we add one.  My question is, do we pronounce the 's' in la meiris ?

Yes.

Pierre