I do not claim any expertise in this, but I think some people have mentioned
the spreadsheet
capability as a way to do this.

Mark

On Feb 3, 2015, at 1:54 PM, Mills, Douglas G <dmi...@illinois.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm guessing there's probably a better way of doing this and someone on this
> list has probably done it.  Some of the instructors I work with would like to
> give, say, 5 attempts on a homework or quiz question but with decreased point
> value for each subsequent attempt, along the lines of 1point if you get it
> right the first try,  .8 points if correct on the second try,  .6 points on
> the third try, etc.
>
> Early one I tried the weight parameter with a variable for the value of it
> that changed with the number of tries. That worked beautifully… in the
> problem itself, but in the context of the assessment progress chart and other
> places in Lon-Capa, the variable was not evaluated so the weight turned out
> to be 0.
>
> Using "assigned_score" works well for this, but _as I understand it_ requires
> use of the custom problem type. I've done a lot of these and appreciate their
> power and versatility, but they have their downsides, perhaps for me the most
> significant being the need to write code to evaluate significant figures and
> tolerance, which are done so well for me in numerical response problems.
>
> The approach used by some of the instructors I work with who do their own
> coding is to give the students access to the same quiz 3 times and then using
> the timestamps to determine which was the first attempt, the second attempt
> and the third attempt and plug those into excel to generate the best score
> with the second attempt worth .8 of the full points possible and the third
> attempt worth .6.  They have to look at timestamps because of course the
> clever and slightly unscrupulous students in the courses do these in reverse
> order to use the lower-value quizzes to practice for the full-value quiz.  I
> proposed using sequences to prevent access to the lower value quizzes until
> each of the subsequent quizzes has been attempted, but that has not caught on.
>
> So, is there a way, within one quiz, to allow multiple attempts at each
> question and automatically decrease the point value of that question for each
> attempt besides using "assign_score" (or is there a way to get tolerance and
> sig fig functionality into a customresponse without coding it yourself?)
>
> Or some other way to approach this that I'm missing?
>
> Thanks as always!
>
> Doug
>
> Douglas Mills
> Director of Instructional Technologies
> Department of Chemistry
> University of Illinois
> dmi...@illinois.edu
> (217) 244-5739

Mark Lucas                                                              email:
luc...@ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab                                             phone:
(740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax: (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701