To clarify a bit further,  we are looking at presenting exams in a testing
center. The testing center eliminates access to other IP addresses, so our
interest is indeed eliminating access to other course materials  from the IP
address of the student’s computer.  We do use the technique Stuart has outlined
in many of our exams, locking out access to other parts of the course via the
start timer. The concern in this case is that one thing the testing center
would not manage well is the possibility that a student could log into the
course and open additional course resources in other tabs before starting the
exam timer. The testing center accommodates exams from multiple courses at one
time and Lon-Capa will be a new means of delivery for them, so this possibility
will not likely be monitored well.

That said, if putting ! in front of a range of IPs in a slot works then my
thought is to essentially put the whole course into a slot which excludes
access to the course from the testing center range of IPs and then override
that at the folder level for the exams themselves with a slot that only allows
access from the testing center IP range. Does that sound feasible?

Doug

-sent from mobile-