> > From: Leo Lapworth [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> >
> > XML - do it because you need it, not because of the Buzz.

Amen.

>I'm also trying to future proof the system slightly - I think that by
>having the data XML based it may make it easier to use in new and
>wonderful ways in the future, without having to write all the tools from
>scratch.

I'm doing a lot of work at the moment with XML (still fairly rudiemntary
stuff, though) and for me the "future proofing" has been the deciding
factor. We don't know what we need the system to be capable of in the medium
to long term, and so we've gone down the XML path to keep our options open.

The way I look at it, if it makes the data more readable and easily managed
(through XPath & XSLT for example), then provided you don't suffer an
unbearable performance hit, it's worth the effort.

Also, with something reasonably simple, it's probably a safe training ground
for getting into XML without the pressure of a more critical project. Let
you find out what you like/dislike about XML without becoming a lemming.

>XML in a Nutshell is a very good book

++

My £0.02.

Ian