On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 09:51:25AM -0800, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> Is a million considered a lot in the UK still?

Not by people who can add up.

One million will pay for ten average peoples' salaries etc plus overheads -
like an office, stationery, power, heat, comms, computers, insurance - for
ONE YEAR assuming no profits.  It amazes me that companies are proud of
raising that much capital, and then aim for a (say) nine month development
period.  Of course, after the product is ready you have to market it, and
initial sales are slow - and then one day you suddenly realise that you
have no capital left and you're fucked.

I'm talking in UKP, BTW, not USD.

> But then so's a 24hr stretch of uninterrupted electricity

Yeah, it's always amazed me just how crap the north American power system
seems to be.  Even in cities.

--
David Cantrell | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

   Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced