On Tue 23 Jan, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> The issue of millions-of-CCs needs to be addressed by anyone
> putting together a pro-reply-to: sender argument.

Aaaaaaaaargh [ Off at a tangent ]

I subscribe to a system similar to CIX (University of Guelf conferencing system).

On Friday a "new" virus was discovered which had infected various people.
A single email was sent by the powers that be[1], *Cc:ed* to each of the 954
subscribers who had logged on at any time in the last 12 months, with a 6.5
mb attachment containing, apparently, an update to some anti-virus software.
And of course some people claimed not to have got the attachment and
replied, cc'ing it to all 954 recipients, asking for it to be resent. Etc.

It turned out that the email software supplied to the users does not have a
Bcc: line and that the default is reply to all.

Roger H.
[1] A large software company.
--
Roger Horne
11 New Square, Lincoln's Inn, London WC2A 3QB