On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 12:35:17PM -0000, Robert Shiels wrote:
> Let's be kind to the poor Windows users, encouraging them with the lure of
> free powerful software;  once they get a taste for it they'll be begging you
> to help them get Linux installed as a dual boot on their home machines, then
> as they get used to it and driver support gets better they'll find
> themselves booting Linux more than Windows, then their conversion away from
> the dark side will be complete :-)

I think the appropriate attitude is to NOT try to convert people, except
possibly in a slightly silly "muh, you must use linux for everything" way
that I personally don't take too seriously.

We need to just get on with using linux, and other sensible stuff, and
IF PEOPLE ASK QUESTIONS then we can tell them about it. But we shouldn't
try to promote it as what they want, because invariably they start going
"aargh, it' doesn't have all the shiny windows features, it must suck, and
you said it was good", whereas if they get interested in it themselves,
and come to you, you've made no promises so they can't be dissappointed.

OTOH, that doesn't help us much with the desirable goal of getting unix
used more in the workplace. I dunno.

Michael